CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Mantra

Today I went on a field trip to Guangzhou with our potential IB students for next year. Since I'll be teaching TOK (Theory of Knowledge) next year, I met with the current TOK teacher at AISG and got all kinds of great advice. She has been teaching for 30 years (dude!), so of course, she is a wealth of information. She made me promise a few things: to not make my class a "blowoff class" (as if!), to show The Matrix and The Truman Show after teaching Plato's allegory of the cave, and to buy simulation games...I wish she had been my teacher!

Anyway, this does relate to adoption. After our interview I had a few hours to myself, so I headed to the library. J lent me a must read for PAPs (Prospective Adoptive Parents for those who are not in the know): Raising Adopted Children by Lois Ruskai Melina. In the beginning she advises to "Have faith. Adoption is so uncertain that it sometimes seems that expecting to happen will certainly doom it to failure." I've definitely felt this already, and we've only just begun (you can hum it if you want). So what do we do? Claim a mantra! I believe I will be a parent someday. I believe I will be a parent someday.

And so, since there's really been no real crossing-off-things-on-a-list this week, I'll take it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys! I'll be thinking about you and keeping up with the blog to hear how it's all going. I know you'll be amazing parents!

Danni and Tommy said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad you started a blog...I look forward to following your journey!
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

OK. I guess this is how is works. I will let Lana win the prize. I know nothing about blogs, but will enjoy reading yours. (the only one I read). Mantra: "I believe I will be a grandma again someday".

Anonymous said...

I still had trouble posting! My name was suppose to be GranJan.

A. said...

Awesome, tia!!!!!!!

Congrats on such a big and exciting move. Diego and I are considering it down the road. I'd love to have another one and then possibly adopt. When we had so much trouble getting pregnant, I turned to adoption as an option and felt really excited about it -- though I learned about all the pitfalls and nightmares. I wish you two nothing but smooth sailing and blessings with this journey!!

xo
lex

Kristi J said...

You will be a parent!! Well said!! Hope you cross more off the list soon :) kristi