CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day #9 and Dickenson

Today is Day #9. It is better than Day #8, which was better than Day #7. I expect Day #10 or Day #11 might not follow this promising pattern since it will be the weekend. School has been a good thing. My students still make me smile and laugh. And it's easier to forget while we're working. I don't want to forget her, but not thinking about her means I can breathe and function and make the minutes go by faster.

I know there are healthier poets to read, but for now I'm stuck on Dickenson. Here are 2:

22.

The bustle in a house
The morning after death
Is solemnest of industries
Enacted upon earth.

The sweeping up the heart
And putting love away
We shall not want to use again
Until eternity.

2.

THEY say that 'time assuages,' --
Time never did assuage;
An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.

Time is a test of trouble,
But not a remedy.
If such it prove, it prove too
There was no malady.

Thanks to all commenters--I'm unable to publish them, but I see them and appreciate them.

0 comments: